The summary of the legal support for journalists during the third week in FebruaryFebruary 24th, 2017
"Journalists against torture" observatory continues following up the hearings of the cases related the freedom of media and press through this summary of legal support during the week by the law committee team in the observatory inside courtrooms and police stations that works as a supporting shelter to journalists and the media freedoms seeking for a free independent space for work.
this report includes the summary of the hearings that the law committee of the observatory during 18 February to 23 February, there were 10 judicial hearings to journalists in many different newspapers, here they are
- the hearing of closing the office located in Cairo of the British newspaper "the guardian".
- the hearing of closing and stopping transmitting all the Shia's websites, especially "Elnafes" website.
- the hearing of the case filled by the manager of "Tanta sports club" accusing all of the chairman and the editor in chief and a journalist at "Elwatan" newspaper.
- the hearing of the trial of Hala Elbadry the former editor in chief of "radio and television" magazine and the journalist "Mosaad galal".
- the hearing of the trial of the editor in chief of "Elwatan" newspaper and a journalist for being accused of insulting Al-Azhar.
- the hearing of the case filed by a former general against the website "Elbdayah" and a journalist.
- the hearing of the renewal of remanding in preventive custody for Elzaeem, Hassan and Elbshbeshy considered by the 15th circuit North Cairo criminal court, held in the new Cairo courts in "Eltgamoo elkhames".
- the hearing of the trial of the press writer Abdelhaleem Andeel ,the editor in chief of "Sawt Elomma" newspaper, for insulting a manager of a school in Dakahlia.
- the hearing of considering the appeal of "Mohamed Hassan" ,a photographer in 'Elnabaa", on the decision of the renewal for him to remand in preventive custody.
- the hearing of imposing financial fine on Yousef Elhouseny.
Saturday 18th February
* The first circuit proxy in the administrative judiciary court in the state council, held by the judge "Mohamed Eldemerdash" ,the vice chairman at the state council, decided to postpone the case filed by "Samir Sabry" that demands closing the office of the Guardian British newspaper in Cairo, to the date 6th April, because of deliberately insulting Egypt.
the case numbered with 70\54519 claimed that the British guardian newspaper confessed that one of its reporters fabricated reports against Egypt depending on reports made by the brotherhood association.
Sunday 19th February
* The second circuit at the administrative judiciary court, headed by the judge "Sami Abdelhamed",the vice chairman of the state council, decided to postpone the hearing of considering the case filed by the lawyer "Samir Sabry" that demand closing all the websites of Shia generally, and the website "Elnafes" especially, to 26th March.
The case was filed sued all of the prime minister, the interior minister and the Shiite preacher "Ahmed Rasem" who owns the news website "Elnfees", as The case mentioned that " it's unbelievable and unacceptable that there is a website spreads the thoughts of Shia and sets a media platform in Egypt, as Egypt is an Islamic state and the constitution sets the Islamic Sharia as the source of legislation, and it admits only Christianity and Judaism only as religions, and that "Elnafees" website is regarded as one of the news websites that always incite against the Islamic Arab kingdom, the holy Azhar and the Ministry of Religious Endowments, and that Ahmed Rasem always write in this website that assault the Sunnaand KSA and call for the Shia.
Monday 20th February
* Dokii Misdemeanor Court decided postponement for acknowledgement in the case of the manager of "Tanta's sports clup" against all of the chairman and the editor in chief of "Elwatan" newspaper and a journalist in the same newspaper and the chargé d'affaires of the executive manager of the FA, accusing them of insulting and slandering him, to the upcoming hearing scheduled 27th March.
"Faez Abdelhameed Orebe" ,the manager of Tanta club, set a minute numbered 4215 for year 2016 accusing "Mohamed Anwar Saleh" the chargé d'affaires of the executive manager of the FA and "Mohamed Elamen" ,the chairman of "Elwatan" newspaper, and "Magdy Elgalad" ,the editor in chief, and "Ahmed Abdelbaset" ,a journalist in the same newspaper, accusing them of insulting and slandering through publishing an interview with the executive manager of the FA on 11th July 2012.
* Qalioub misdemeanor court decided 6 month imprison for both Hala Elbadry the former editor in chief of the magazine "Radio and Television" and the journalist Mosaad Galal, and a10001 pound civic compensation, because of publishing a report about the businessman Abuhashima whose lawyer told about the report that it's "fabricated and not true at all".
the lawyer of Abuhashima filed a case numbered 1600 depending on the topic published in the edition numbered 4105 in 16th November 2013 named "documented.. Elshater assigned abuhashima to sign on selling the Suez Canal contracts". The case was referred to the respective prosecution for investigation, and the case recorded with the number 9934 for year 2016 and 2459 for year 2016.
* Cairo Appeal court determined the hearing of 4th March to start the trial for all of "Mahmoud Moslam" ,the editor in chief of "Elwatan news, and "Ahmed Khateb",a journalist in the same newspaper, in the case numbered 1852 Dokii misdemeanor for year 2016 in the 17th circuit of Giza criminal Court, according to the accusations of insulting the Holy Azhar and slandering its leaders and scholars, publishing wrong news about the holy Azhar and insulting and slandering the counselor of Shiekh Al-azhar.
the public council of north Giza prosecutions referred Ahmed Elkhateb ,a journalist of Elwatan newspaper, to the criminal court in January after the public prosecution completed its investigations about the articles that the newspaper published about Al-Azhar and the legislative counselor of Al-Azhar and the prosecution decided to refer them to the criminal court for being accused of insulting the Holy Azhar and publishing wrong news and rumors about it and its scholars and officials, in addition to the demand of Al-Azhar lawyers with a compensation from the" Future" publishing and distribution institution that owns "Elwatan" newspaper.
* the 10th civic compensation circuit ,held in the South Cairo Trial court, decided postponement to submit the newspaper for review to the case filed by "Shawky Salah" the former general of the police academy against "Elbidayah" website and the editor in chief "Khaled Elbalsh" and an editor in the same newspaper "Mohamed Rabee" to 27th March, in which he demanded a 50 thouand pound civic compensation because of a report published about the exhibits in the interior ministry.
"Mohamed Rabee" said before to the observatory that the details of the incident was about a report published in the website dated 5th December titled "From where do the exhibits of the interior ministry come?" that included Quotes from police sources and some security experts, Shawky salah who filed the case was one of them, but he accused the website of truncating his sayings.
* the 15th circuit North Cairo Criminal Court, held in the new Cairo courts in "Eltagmoo Elkhames" by the judge "Shabaan Elshamy" decided the renewal of remanding in preventive custody for 45 days for investigation for all of Hamdy Elziem ,a journalist in Elhayah newspaper, and Mohammed Hassan ,a journalist in Elnabaa newspaper, and Osama Elbshbeshy , a journalist in Baladi news agency.
, this is in the case numbered 15060 for year 2016 misdemeanor Qasr Elniel, as said "Amr Ahmed" the lawyer of the three journalists.
they are accused of joining an illegal panned organization, and publishing wrong news that harms the interest of the national security, photographing without permission in addition to a new accusation added by the supreme state security prosecution, the accusation is "getting foreign fund".
Tuesday 21st February
* Dokii misdemeanor court decided imposing fines on the press writer "Abdelhaleem Andeel" ,the editor in chief of "Sawt Elomma", 10 thousand pound and a 15 thousand pound to a journalist in the same newspaper for being guilty of insulting and slandering.
the case numbered 322 for year 2017 of which "Abdelhalem Andeel" and "Reem Mahmoud" were accused of insulting and slandering a manger of a school in Dakahlia, was finally determined of being guilty, this was because of a news about him selling drugs to the students.
Wednesday 22nd February
* the 5th terrorism circuit ,held in police academy by the judge Mohamed Shehata, refused the appeal on the decision of the renewal of remanding in preventive custody for 30 days submitted on Mohamed Hassan ,a press photographer in "Elnabaa" newspaper, in the case numbered 15060 for year 2016 misdemeanor Qasr Elniel court for being accused of joining an illegal panned association, publishing wrong news concerns the national security, photographing without permission in addition to a new accusation added by the supreme state security prosecution with the journalists "Hamdy Elzieem" ,a journalist in "Elhayah" newspaper, and "Osama Elbshbeshy",a journalist in "Baladi" news agency.
the 15th circuit of North Cairo misdemeanor court, held in new Cairo courts in "Eltagmoaa elkhames", had decided on 19th February the renewal of remanding in preventive custody for the three journalists in a sudden hearing without lawyers which was before the date scheduled on 22 February.
Thursday 23rd February
* first October misdemeanor court decided imposing fines on "Youseef Elhusieny" and the editor in chief of the show "respectful gentlemen" 10 thousand pounds for all of them for insulting and slandering the former minister of justice "Elzend", who filed cases on "Elhussieny" the presenter of the show mentioned that is transmitted on "On TV" and the editor in chief of the show accusing them of insulting and slandering him.